Today, August 8th 2016 we have used as much from nature that the planet can produce in one year. The things we will buy, the food we will eat, the gas we will fill our cars with, everything we will consume for the rest of the year is borrowed from the future. In 1987 earth overshoot day occurred december 24th. Slowly we are depleting the earth. For us to continue consuming as we are doing today, 1,6 planets are needed.
There are many things you can do to minimize your ecological footprint. Regarding stormwater it is easy to think that you cannot impact the quality of it, but you can!
Here are some tips:
- Do not wash your car on the street. All pollutants washed of the car and the schampoo you use will reach the nearest stream or lake untreated. Instead wash your car at the car wash!
- Pick up after your pet. Feces will end up in the receiving waterbody and contaminate the water with for example e-coli which is a bacteria that can make you really sick.
- Think twice if you need to take the car. Walk, bike or public transportation are great options.
- Keep your car well maintained. Making sure your car is well maintained will minimize leaks and breakdowns. By doing this you minimize the risk of oils and other hazardous pollutants ending up in the stormwater drain.
- Minimize the use of fertilizers in your garden. Fertilizers contribute to eutrophication and acidification which has a negative impact on the environment.
- Only rainwater belongs in the stormwater drain. Do not dump anything in the stormwater drain.